Saturday, January 8, 2011

Paci No More!

It had to come someday.  However, we were putting it off as long as we could. This kiddo loves his paci, and neither of us relish the thought of a battle of wills against a 2 year old... we all know who would win that one.  What's the best way to go about it?  Cold Turkey?  Eliminate naps first, then go for bedtimes?  Use the Paci Fairy story?  Donate them to babies?  Trash them?  Have a goodbye ceremony?  Since he was tiny, Evan's never had paci other than when sleeping, but it's become quite the lovey during nap and bed time.  He MUST have the paci.  We put 2 extras on the book shelf next to his bed at night, so when one drops out of bed, he can get another.  If it's not there or he's dropped all 3 during the night, he screams for us to come dig around under the bed and get him a new one.  Along with Doggy, it's the one thing he simply must have for sleep. 

Today's basketball game was a noon game, so we braved the time and went to the game, knowing the end would be pushing against nap and I might have one cranky kiddo on my hands.  He had a blast at the game, as usual, and played hard with his buddies.  We could see Evan hit the wall when he got tired, and he climbed up in my lap asking to go home.  I took a chance and told him I had left paci in the car, hoping he'd just be so tired and fall asleep at the game.  Despite the noise and action, he did!  As I carried him out to the car, he sleepily remembered and asked for paci, but I quickly tucked him in to the seat belt and got the car started.  The movement put him right back to sleep, sans paci.

We got home and he half-woke again, enough to kick off his shoes and, of course, ask for paci.  I was hoping against hope that we could do it - get to bed without really waking and remembering how much he loves, no NEEDS, paci when he sleeps.

It was nothing short of a miracle.  He raised his head to ask for paci, and I had stealthily swiped the extras off the bookshelf as we walked in the door.  I simply said, "Big Boys don't need paci.  You have doggy.  Sweet dreams!" and laid him in bed.  As I practically ran to the door, he quietly put his head down and went back to dreamland.  Hooray! Hooray!  I held my breath through the whole nap, wondering when he'd wake up and demand to have his crutch to go back to sleep, but... nothing.  Wow! 

After nap, Evan got congratulated like he'd just won a Gold at the Olympics.  He didn't need a paci!  What a big boy!  He got caught up in the excitement and was very proud of himself.  We talked about babies needing pacis, and how Evan was so big he didn't need it any more.  Whew!

But wait... that was only one sleep time.  What would happen at bedtime that night?  We talked about it a little when going upstairs, and he agreed that he was indeed a big boy and didn't need it that night.  As I closed his bedroom door, I was terrified.  Would he change his mind and demand it?  Was I ready for the battle of wills if I said no and he threw a fit?  To give in would most certainly mean 10 steps backwards - you can't give in when dealing with a toddler.  To hold my ground could result in tears and a fit like we have never seen from our mild mannered little man.  How would this drama play out?

He amazed me again and didn't make a peep all night. We celebrated again in the morning, and haven't looked back since! 

And we've never looked back.  Sometimes Evan'll ask about a paci when he sees someone with it, solemnly pointing and saying, "That a baby.  Baby use paci."  But then proudly he'll bounce right back and announce, "Evan no need paci - I a big boy!"  Indeed.

No comments: